« I got it from my mama. | Home | EL150: Maybe too much One Tree Hill? »

EL150: So we break out the blogs for real.

How to Read Literature Like a Professor

The quote I used was "A moment occurs in this exchange between professor and student when each of us adopts a look" (Foster xiii). I like this quote because "the look" goes for everything, from the parent disiplining a child to the blank stare professors get from confused students. We use it ALL THE TIME, and everyone always knows what it means in any given situation. This quote, though really having nothing to do with the rest of the reading, stuck out because Foster wants us to be able to know what it all means, just like professors, and I thought it was clever that he mentions the look, the thing that everyone understands.

I chose Andrea's comment for this reading because she used the quote, "When small children,...begin to tell you a story, they put in every detail and every word they recall, with no sense that some features are more important than others." (But don't they look so cute when they say...and then, and then, and then....) I love when little kids tell stories, they get so excited and so passionate to tell you every little last thing...and then...they tell you more and more...and then....they get out of breath because they are talking so fast...and then...you get the point. Anyway, Andrea points out how she finds it ironic that little kids remember EVERY DETAIL but as college students we tend to forget some important meanings and stick with the easy stuff. If only we could use our...and then...ways in college to remember stuff.

Freedom of speech redefined by blogs.

First I'd like to start by applauding Dr. Jerz for sticking an article about himself (and some others) into our assigned reading. ::CLAPS:: Anyway, I've read this article before while waiting outside of Jerz's office to make my schedule for the spring semester. However, I think I missed the line "But every so often, something unexpected happens and a broader discussion ensues." The point being that anyone can have access to your blog. In my comment on the course site I talked about how I used to have journals and though I loved writing everything in them, my real goal was to hide them when I was done writing so my loving big brother wouldn't find them. But I started using a weblog when I was about 12 or 13 and I couldnt hide that. Though with my xanga I can set entries to private, some people (my "subscribers") can still get into the entry and read it - nothing is fully hidden on the internet.

That is why I liked the quote Steph chose, "He views his own blogs as a far cry from the all-opinion rants of his freshman year. 'I've learned to do better research, so I don't sound like I'm someone angry at the world.'" Steph talks about how she finds this quote worth commenting on because of how real it is. I TOTALLLLLLLY get that. I look back on some old blogs I wrote and seriously crack up laughing....and lets not even talk about those journals, gosh. I like to look back on them though to see how my writing has grown and matured but wow little chels was an overdramatic dork. (At least she's cute though.) But this article was a good starter to blogging with this class, because I don't think too many people have used them and putting the example that people will find your rants is a good lesson to learn early. 

Good posts, Chelsea. In the future, it would be better if you created a separate blog entry for each reading, so that any discussions that result can be more focused on one or the other reading. (You are welcome, of course, to refer to multiple readings in a single post, if you wish.)