EL150: Oh Sweet Setonian

I went to the Merry Wives of Windsor play practice on Wednesday to take pictures for The Setonian and was able to stay for the majority of the practice (which was a good time and reminded me of how much I miss being on stage.) Anyway, but the part that they were focusing on was Act 5.

Now I like Shakespeare, I think he's a pretty good catch; however, more than half the time I cannot understand what is going on with his writing unless I see it played out infront of me. (Thank you SHU Theater Program.) But also just a plug - these kids have a lot of energy in their acting I'm sure it will be a great show.

Sorry I get side-tracked sometimes..."The night is dark; light and spirits will become it well. Heaven prosper our sport. No man means evil but the devil, and we shall know him by his horns." (Act 5, Scene 2) 

I chose this quote because when I was taking pictures/watching the show, I missed the first part of this with the whole horn making business because that is where they started and I was not just watching the show, I was trying to take pictures as well. (So I was a bit confused.) However, this quote reminded me of what was going actually going on, on stage. And because of that and because of how the actors really were able to pull you into this scene, I better understand what is going on. I find it pretty funny now too - because even though Nathan May does a great job of running around in fear, it is better to actually know what is going on even though his facial expressions are enough to keep anyone entertained.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: EL150: Oh Sweet Setonian.

I'm glad to hear this, Chelsea... in class Friday I assured students that if the actors have to say lines they think the audience won't understand, they may very well have actors hit bonk other over the head or whatever, so that it will be funny anyway.

Chelsea, you are making me excited to see the play! But the horns are an interesting symbol. I think it said somewhere in the footnotes that the horns represent a cuckolded man. So isn’t it ironic that the man who was trying to convince other men’s wives to cheat on them is now the one wearing horns? It is an interesting role-reversal.

Stephanie Wytovich said:

AH! I cannot wait to go see the play! I love reading Shakespeare and then seeing it played out on stage, because that way it clears up a lot of the confusion that is going on in your head when you're trying to figure out what he's saying haha.

Yes, but it is important to remember that the play we see is just those actors' and that director's interpretation of the play. And if you see someone else perform the same play, it could be quite different. So while it does help clear up some confusion, it is not necessarily the one right way to interprete the scene.