EL150: So which will I master.

Hamilton: Essential Literary Terms

Alright - I'm the kid that takes the assignment in my own little way sometimes so here I go again.

The two terms I picked out were Lyric Poetry and Novel. First off, I picked these two because they are along the lines of what I want to get in to and have started to do already.

Lyric Poetry is said it be usually short and are in first person point of view, though that is not always the poets voice, it is displayed as the character or speakers voice; which may or may not be the actual poet talking as well. (examples are Walt Whitman's "Song of Myself" and Sylvia Plath's "Daddy" -both are well written actually.) I thought as well as these, that lyrical poetry could even be some lyrics to songs.

A Novel, as many people know is a longer story that has a more in-depth plot that a short story and is able to expand on characters lives and backgrounds and expand on the situations going on in the book. (examples are The Scarlet Letter and Pride and Prejudice -personally I like the first better.)

Anyway, I bring these two up because I like the style of lyric poetry and I like novels. I've written songs and lyric poetry in the past and I am breaking into the writing novels idea currently so yeah, sometimes (okay all the time) I like my blog to talk about me. So those are my plans and I guess we'll see how it goes.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: EL150: So which will I master..

Tiffany Gilbert said:

When you mentioned, "Song of Myself," by Walt Whitman, I remember reading that poem and considered your idea of the words being song lyrics. Ironically, "Song" is in the title, and maybe the Wally wanted to write a song and it just turned into a poem because that's what he is good at.
However, I did take your comment into consideration that yea...it could be a song.
Nice observation!

I'd agree that "Daddy" has lyric elements, but it also tells a story -- the speaker of the poem is a character who delivers a monologue. And there's a special kind of song that emphasizes telling a story -- we call it a ballad.

You can always write your novel about a poet, so you can work your own poetry in that way!