EL150: Sometimes I cannot choose.

How to Read Literature Like a Professor: Chapters 19 & 20

I picked two quotes. The first, found on page 167, "She goes, in other words, from a closed to an open enviroment, and she seizes the opportunities for growth and development." And the second, from page 173, "Some of these you will notice, appear on both lists, and you can make either enviroment work for you if you're a real writer."

Basically I like when my quotes relate best to me, its true sometimes I am self-centered, I'm okay with that. Anyway, I never really noticed how much geography played into the role of a story until these chapters. Of course in high school we're told to look at every detail to the point of vomiting, but not being the best at directions or anything dealing with the layout of a map (a trait I actually did receive from my mama) made the whole topic of geography not one of my favorites. However with the first quote I related it to going from SmallTown, PA to University, and how this is my time to seize the oppurtunities for growth and development. Even though this is a small college and I see basically the same faces everyday now, its a time to branch out or in other words, grow and develop. Which brings me to my next quote. I want to be a real writer. I want to be recognized for it and make the craft work for me. So to tie the two together, I'm at the point to grow and develop, and become the great writer I am aspiring to be.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: EL150: Sometimes I cannot choose..

Jeanine O'Neal said:

Ah yes, but notice the word IF. "...if you're a real writer" Some people have to go on a journey of their own just to become real writers.

Stephanie Wytovich said:

I liked that you linked the two quotes together because I feel that they relate really well to one another. I do feel that in order to make them work, one needs to witness/experience a signnifcant event in their life. Whether it's their location, a new opportunitiy, etc., I do believe that it is those moments in life that help develop who one is, and that will therefore come out in their writing.

Marsha Banton said:

I really never thought of geography having such an impact on our daily lives until I read this but you are right. If you want to be a writed geography will have a large inpact on your life as it does us all.