EL150: Why are men not like William now?

Sonnet CXXX: y Mistress' Eyes are Nothing like the Sun

"And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare/As any she belied with false compare."

At first this depressed me. I was thinking oh William Shakespeare...I thought you were a hopeless romantic like me? But then I found out that in the last line it says belied, which I didn't know the meaning of but now I know that it means to give the wrong impression about something thing.

So basically - yay Willy!!! I took this as him saying that his mistress might not be what society calls beautiful - but to him, she is gorgeous. I like when men are like that. Like regaurdless of what the world around them says - he still sees his girl as the most beautiful girl in the world.

Her eyes are not like the sun, her lips are not very red, she's pale, she does not smell amazing all the time, and her voice is not always pleasing...but he still finds her beautiful. (Let's get more guys like that in this world!)

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: EL150: Why are men not like William now?.