« EL150: Second grade pen-pals | Home | EL150: It's true - I miss-use the dash, sometimes. »

March 30, 2008

EL150: We'll get along fine, Exclamation Mark

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

On page 137 - "...it still shouts, flashes neon, and jumps up and down. In the family of punctuation, where the full stop is daddy and the comma is mommy, and the semicolon quietly practices the piano with crossed hands, the exclamation mark is the big attention-deficit brother who gets over excited and breaks things and laughs too loudly."

So I think if I was in the family of punctuation I would totally be the exclamation mark. It does stand out, because it just looks so different and when I picture it I even picture WOW. It just cannot be ignored. Clearly I'm the same.

That is a great way to explain the meanings of punctuation. I like the exclamation point for the WOW factor as well.

Hahaha, Chels, you crack me up. I'm calling you an exclamation point tonight. =) If I forget I will be mad at myself.

Dear Chelsea,

You would undoubtfully be an exclamation point, and that's what I heart about you.

Love,
Stephanie

Haha, the punctuation mark family. Well I’m not sure which punctuation mark I would be, but certainly not the exclamation mark. It is too loud and flamboyant for me, and I approach it with caution. You might want to check my blog out about it: http://blogs.setonhill.edu/GretaCarroll/2008/04/exclamation_mark_phobia.html
Juliana wrote about much the same thing as you as well, so you might want to read hers. I’m thinking there might be a correlation between personality and exclamation mark usage. Extroverts love them, introverts flinch away from them. Truss wants to warn the extroverts not to overuse them, and encourage introverts to use them.