EL150: A comma, a small, crooked point.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

"On the page, punctuation performs its grammatical function, but in the mind of the reader it does more than that. It tells the reader how to hum the tune." (Found on page 71)

Examples found on page 75.

"Comfort ye my people" (please go out and comfort my people)

"Comfort ye, my people" (just cheer up, you lot; it might never happen)

Like in my last post, I mention that commas and their proper usage make or break what you're trying to say. Those examples mean two totally different things, just because of where the comma is (or in the first one, isn't). Commas are super-duper important. Your whole point could be changed if you used them in a way you didn't mean to.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: EL150: A comma, a small, crooked point..

Tiffany Gilbert said:

I was told once that I am comma happy because I try to break down sentences so the reader can understand the reading. Every words was pretty much separated by a comma, so it would have looked like this,
Comfort, ye, my, people. No but in reality, depending on the amount of commas and where they are placed, can change the meaning of writing. In my case, it just seems like you want to focus on each word individually. Weird huh?

Chelsea Oliver said:

haha - I understand, I do that all the time too.

Maddie Gillespie said:

I completely get what the both of you are talking about. Don't worry Tiff, I've been accused of being comma-happy too. I always want to write long sentences, full of detail so that the reader can clearly picture that which I'm trying to say. In the end, I think I just confuse them with all of the commas linking ideas together. Oh well. Live and learn right? ^_^

Stephanie Wytovich said:

I'm def. comma happy.
I admitted to it in my blog.
haha that made me sound like I'm in grammar rehab.
wow.