EL150: It's true - I miss-use the dash, sometimes.

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

"The dash is nowadays seen as the enemy of grammar, partly because overtly disorganized thought is the mode of most email and (mobile phone) text communication, and the dash does an annoyingly good job in these contexts standing in for all other punctuation marks."

Example

"I saw Jim - he looked gr8 - have you seen him - what time is the thing 2morrow - C U there."

(All of the above found on page 157.)

Though I have never seriously texted like that, I always spell everything out completely; I do use the dash like that. Especially when I'm texting, I go dash crazy. I think it's mainly because when I'm texting I, for some odd reason, have a hard time being able to tell where a sentence should end or where a comma should go. Also, I'll admit it, I think for texting purposes, the comma and period are a waste of a character and really a waste of time. I'm going to English hell for saying that, I know, but it's true. Honestly, who can say that all of their texts are grammitically correct? I'm thinking that no one is raising their hand right now.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: EL150: It's true - I miss-use the dash, sometimes..

Tiffany Gilbert said:

Not that this is about your current blog...which was nice but...just wanted to say your xanga page cracked me up. I couldn't stop laughing. Hahahaha. Ohhhh school was always fun for me too. Niceeee.

Thanks Tiff. - My xanga used to be like MY BABY lol so I liked to make it exciting, thanks for the comment!

Stephanie Wytovich said:

Well dearest, I'll be seeing you in English Hell. I, as well, try to spell everything out correctly, but as for punctuation marks, pshh. They don't even cross my mind! (Sorry English Gods). But I'm DEF. not as bad as some people with the whole IDK MBFFJ people. I mean are they serious? Wow, they need to be slapped with Truss's book.

Ally Hall said:

I have to say, that although I have been known to properly punctuate some of my texts, not all of them are. Normally, if I'm writing a long one I'll actually use them if i have more than one thought so that it's not just one really long run-on sentence. In fact, I don't think I've ever used the dash in a text. But I rarely - if ever - use apostrophes, so am I going to Grammar Hell too? If so, see you all there!