EL150: Underdog cheaters make me sick

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

So I focused on chapters 1-3, just so this makes sense to everyone.

"So Ender walked to Stilson's supine body and kicked him again, viciously, in the ribs. Stilson groaned and rolled away from him. Ender walked around him and kicked him again, in the critch. Stilson could not make a sound; he only doubled up and tears streamed out of his eyes." (Page 7)

So usually I would be all excited for the underdog (Ender) cause I mean when the underdog comes out on top and beats up the bully (Stilson) it makes me happy and smile really obnoxiously. (For example: the last Superbowl.) Anyway, with this story though I am not, because the lines before the ones above are, "Ender knew the unspoken rules of manly warfare, even though he was only six. It was forbidden to strike the opponent who lay helpless on the ground; only an animal would do that."

Ender (Andrew, whatever your name is), you're a cheater. I don't care if you're the underdog you're a jerk, you're not allowed to play that way.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: EL150: Underdog cheaters make me sick.

Stephanie Wytovich said:

I liked your blog entry because I also feel the same way about the concept of an underdog. Although I always think it's a good story and or movie when the underdog comes out on top, I hate that Ender stoops to cheating to achieve his goals. I'll admit that it makes it very hard to enjoy the story when the protagonist is an ass and takes advantage of people. I hate cheaters, because cheaters never win, even if they technically do. Their conscious will alwyas catch up with them in the end.