« July 13 - 19 | Home | Wednesday = Home »

July 30, 2008

My favorite Bible verse

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11

My plans for working at Jumonville were to be on Program Staff this summer and move on to Hope Staff next summer. Hope staff works with Hope Campers that are sent to camp through the money that donors give to Jumonville for these kids, who otherwise would not be able to afford to come to camp. They come from broken homes and torn lives, but they're beautiful and deserve to come to camp, even if they themselves cannot pay for it.

The week after Discovery Camp week, one of the girl counselors from Hope Camp was assigned to dean an Adventure Camp. Because of that, and because of the huge number of campers coming that week, I was assigned to fill in at Hope Camp. I was more then pumped to get the first hand experience with these kids and be able to see if that is what I would want to do next summer.

To say the least it was an interesting week. We talked a lot with the girls about how to be beautiful girls without wearing such immodest clothing and how to love themselves for who they are and to not give in to whatever boys want from them. These kids come from a different lifestyle than most of the counselors and they see different ways of making it in the world, and we had to show them that God has other plans and other ways to make them prosper. So that they don't have to do the drug deals and the girls don't have to stand on the corner at night. But I hope they got it.

Some of the kids that came were unwilling to see any other way to live but the one they knew and were raised in, which is expected, while other kids wanted to give it all up and live the way God wants us all to live. It was a blessing to be in Hope Camp that week. It was a blessing to show how to be beautiful and wear appropriate clothes, it was a blessing to read to them and spend quality time with them, it was a blessing to watch as their attitudes dropped throughout the week and how they cared for each other by the end. It was a blessing to show that God has a plan for each of us and that all we have to do is let go and let Him do what He needs to. It was a blessing to be associated with these kids.

So Hope Camp next summer might not be such a bad idea and maybe God and I finally have a plan that's the same. Jeremiah 29:11 was the verse I clung onto senior year and on into the transition to college. Jeremiah 29:11 is also the verse that is engraved into the pavilion that Jumonville built for Hope Camp's private use.