« July 3, 1989 | Home | July 13 - 19 »

July 9, 2008

Quoting Miss Hilton

Yes, it's true; I stole a quote from Paris Hilton to be the new title of my blog. You'll get over it. By no means does that mean that I'm a fan of her, but that doesn't mean that sometimes she doesn't say some decent stuff. Like I said, you'll get over it.

I'm currently midway through my only week off this summer from Jumonville. I miss that mountain already. Actually, to tell you the truth, I've missed the mountain since I got in the car to go down it and come two hours in said car all the way back to Ellwood. I'm not going to lie, working there is hard. Much harder than I ever thought it would be. I always wanted to be a counselor there, and now I am and couldn't really tell you how I got there. All of my "co-workers," my friends, seem more qualified than I am and seem like they have everything under firm control, while half the time I'm still wondering what the heck is going on.

But then a camper will tell me something important to them, or they will attach themselves to my side for the rest of the week. A camper from any age will call me their BFF and say that they'll miss me when the week is over, when it's only Monday. I always think I'm not cut out for what goes on up there, and then a camper, out of no where will say that I'm a role model, that they look up to me and that they want to be just like me when they grow up. SAY WHAT!?!??! You what to be like who???

It's during those times that I realize I need to humble myself. I'm not up there to fix me; I'm not up there to deal with my issues, or to figure out the person I'm supposed to be. I'm there to mold children and help them walk the right way, even if I've slipped off that path a couple times. I'm there for campers, not for me. My campers are what make me see that I'm supposed to be up on that mountain. I'm not there to be a better Chelsea; I'm there to show how to be a good person in general. I love my campers. I love when they struggle at something for hours, and they want to give up and I tell them to try one more time and they finally get it. I love that light bulb that goes off during Bible studies and something clicks, and they finally catch on to what I'm trying to teach. I love when they realize that they are loved, that they are cared for and that they are beautiful. I love when they see that they don't need the world to be happy, I love that they really do grow up over that week that we get to spend with them. I hope that all of my campers and all of the campers that have come up the mountain this summer have been blessed. I hope that they were able to keep what they learned and experienced at camp in the front of their minds so they could continue to grow up and be great people. I hope that they never have to slip off the path and that their trip down the mountain and back into the real world wasn't a hard one and that they will be okay until next year when they can come back up again.

I've changed because of training and how tough it was, but I've really changed because of the campers that have shown me what it's like to be young again. To be naive and innocent. To have faith without question. I hope the second half of my summer is able to let me grow through these kids as much as the first half has. I hope it lets me let go of whatever I'm holding on to and really give it all up to God like my campers are able to each week.

What a blessing they really have become. (And they say that I'm the role model?)

I've really enjoyed reading these reflections, Chelsea.

Learning humility is one of the best ways to improve yourself -- it prepares you to open yourself to all the other opportunities to learn from other people, even when you're not expecting it. So you really are learning how to improve yourself, by taking at least temporary responsibility for other people, and putting their immediate needs above yours.