« Orientation: Web-style | Home | Don't go green and proofread »

I am my father's daughter...

Spoiler: If you are OR are not interested in politics...read on, this is for both.

Yesterday, former Sate Senator Allen Kukovich spoke to students at Seton Hill about the need to be registered to vote. This seems like a typical thing to be talking to college students around this time about because we are getting into our first official election that we can vote for, and I know I'm not like many students when I say this, but I cannot wait to fill out my first ballot. Voting has been something I pay more attention to than I probably should, ever since I can remember.

Elections in general are very interesting to me, I remember watching the Presidential Election unfolding in 1997 on the small TV my kitchen with my dad when I was about seven years old, and I remember being in my living room, doing some homework when the recount was going on in the election Bush vs. Gore; and though I was young and I don't remember all of the details I do know that during those times I was excited about the election process and couldn't wait to get my chance to vote. (I find it ironic that last Saturday was the first time I have ever been to Washington DC.)

Anyway, while Sen. Kukovich was speaking, I must admit that most of the information he was saying went over my head because all I was thinking was, "why wouldn't someone want to vote?" I know that my mom was never registered to vote until recently and I know that I bugged her about it often because I was jealous that she had the ability to vote and wasn't while I was just a kid sitting on the sidelines waiting to turn 18. (I mean my dad always came home with a cool "I Voted" sticker, that's worth it if you ask me.) But honestly, I never understood it.

But it never really bothered me knowing that back then my mom wasn't voting; it BOTHERS me to an extreme extent to know that my some of my peers simply do not care enough to vote. It BOTHERS me that they give these excuses as to why they are not voting and yet still want change and still want social security and healthcare when we'll need it. It BOTHERS me that my generation is waiting on the world to change, instead of just changing it themselves.

I don't know if you can tell, but I'm pretty passionate about this country. Maybe because my birthday is so close to the official birthday of America. But, I'm very interested in its ups and downs and I want to see it succeed in this messed up world, but I can't see that happen if I sit back and wait for someone else to get stuff done for me.

What I don't understand is that, my peers especially, hate when other people make decisions for them and hate when adults tell them what to do, because they feel like they are adults. Well, dear friends, I'm sorry to put this bluntly, but if you don't want another decision made for you, go vote on which decisions you agree with. And if you don't want another adult telling you what to do, then go vote for the candidate that you like better. And if you want people to treat you like an adult, then be one. Technically you're an adult when you turn 18 and you can register to vote when you turn 18...I'm guessing it's that way for a reason.

Actually I'm not sorry for being blunt. I feel like that's what our country needs to get turned around here, and you're not helping if you're standing by, waiting for something to happen. You're not helping if you choose not to vote because you think that's a way of "sticking it to the man," as Andy so eloquently put it in his blog. This election is already re-writing history books. No matter who wins, this is the first election when a black man or a woman has gotten as far as Obama or Clinton did and this is only the second election where there was a candidate with a woman for a running-mate; make it another first by voting for the first time...re-write your own history book.

I don't care who you vote for, just make an informed decision when you do. November 4th is quickly approaching, so you'll need to get on that soon. Like one of my favorite men once said, "you must be the change you wish to see in the world." 

Chels,

That was Passionate, convincing, impacting, unbiased, and compelling.

We'll CAN'T keep waiting ...for the world... we... all of us... have to do it.

Remember: "DECISIONS ARE MADE BY THOSE THAT SHOW UP!!!!"

Thanks for a good read!

Dad

Every time I hear that John Mayer song, I want to punch a wall, for precisely the reasons you've outlined! Great post.

Megan, I know, I'm the same way. I love John Mayer but I refuse to download that song just for that reason.