« So, how does that make you feel? | Home | EL227 summed up in one sentence »

New to the pot - New to the net

I have never posted before, and I hope that I am doing this correctly. This is in response to the questions about the dates of the birth of the historical Jesus of Nazareth. --Dennis G. Jerz, 1993.

Well, depending on the month, I was two years old in 1993. And I believe that these were the end of my potty-training days. (Considering I started dancing in this year and no diapers were allowed in the studio.) Now, let's make some comparisons!

In the blog posted by Dr. Jerz, it talks about how when "newbies" came into the Usenet business, they messed it up, and how Jerz himself was one of those newbie-types. Well, during this same time, baby Chelsea was messing up the bathroom. Clearly, if you know me well enough, you know I cause havoc now...imagine me at a much smaller scale, I'm just going to guess that the toilet paper roll was too much fun to leave alone. Good thing I was cute. (Suri Cruise actually looks decently similar to baby Chelsea, except that I didn't wear a 400 dollar dress while I was learning about the big girl potty, and I think I still smiled more than she does. Just saying.)

Anyway, my point was that while reading this article I was picturing the internet as a toilet. I don't know exactly what that means, but yeah, you can fill in your own clever meanings if you so desire.  

But I do understand what those veteran Usenet users felt like when the newbies started taking over their site. It's kind of how I felt when they let high school kids join Facebook. Even tough that was during the summer before I started college, it still upset me, because I just got settled into my Facebook and liked that it was only for college kids and it was more "sophisticated" than MySpace and I liked it. Then all the high school kids came in and "messed it all up," and now, what really is the difference between Facebook and MySpace? (Besides the layouts.) Not much, their logos are even the same colors.

Long story short... internet = toilet AND Facebook = Usenet. Maybe?

I think Facebook is coming dangerously close to the fate of Usenet! But for all forms of internet communication like this, I think there is a vicious cycle. They begin with a group of exclusive users that establish their own protocol and culture. But eventually the medium gains mass popularity and becomes too popular for its own good and dies out. If Usenet died with the Eternal September, what is Facebook dying of? Eternal Friending?

Alright, the name might need some work...

nice job of making your blog entry interesting.

It seems we're on the same wavelength here. Facebook and its predecessors start out well, have their hayday, and then something changes. Myspace has gone down the toilet and has been in the sewr for a long time now. Mass popularity seems to denote less quality. Remember the days before all those stupid applications? (though I do like the addicted to spongebob one). Everythings just going to keep piling on top of everything else. Facebook, in a couple of years, will go the way of myspace, friendster, and the rest.

Chelsea, how about "eternal applications"?

I have always thought that the internet equaled toilet, but that's another story. I think that people create Facebooks and Usenets because the inside knowledge makes them feel powerful. But they need to let new people all the time to initiate the newbies, noobs, etc. which is where they derive the feeling of power. Eventually they have allowed too many people to understand their precious knowledge, and it becomes part of the realm of 'once cool' instead of 'ahead of the curve'. That is the way I see many things with the internet transpiring.

The AOL users kind of reminds me of the class of '09 and our entrance into the SHU blogosphere. I think that Usenet didn't prepare themselves for the different mindsets of the influx of people. Thus, Usenet may not have moved with the time.

Along with all of those points, the idea is that "newbies" or the new inexperienced users of networks like Facebook or Usenet basically recreate the code or the ideals for that system. Like Dr. Jerz, pushed the limits with his styles of writing in the Usenet system, people will constantly develop and re-develop networks and more importantly the types of online writing. Facebook is constantly advancing with new applications and most of us don't like it, but in complete honesty, how would Facebook ever grow? I think that is the point that Chelsea is making: "why does Facebook need to grow?" Why can't it just be our little circle of college kids talking to each other? It's kind of sad and discouraging when I think about it, but at the same time, we've all added to the mass growing of these networks.

Going along the same lines as Andy, why does Facebook need to grow? Well, they need to make more money, even though they make over millions and millions of dollars a year.

When I was a newbie to the blog scene, I bet the older classmates of mine were ticked and annoyed with my habits of blogging that didn't meet their standards being that they were the old-timers. In any given situation or social network, things will grow, things will change for the good or the bad, and more people will join especially if it is popular.

All I'm saying is that we all just need to except the mass amount of newbies to Facebook, MySpace, or any social network or internet group. Without the newcomers, they could be deleted and then what we would have to do while procrastinating to do homework.

Time and time again, I hate the Internet because every time I'm trying to go do a specific thing, something pops up on the web page that calls for my attention.