« In memory of a friend... | Home | All I want is to rock your soul »

Fasting for Lent

Well, not fasting like Jesus did but I'm planning on doing a Media Fast during Lent this year. Some of you might be thinking, "Chels, you aren't Catholic, you don't have to do that."

While that statement is true, I always liked giving something up for Lent, just for the sake of doing something during this time. I remember one year when I was in elementary school I gave up applesauce - which to most people doesn't seem like a big deal, but I LOVVVVVE applesauce, I eat it with everything, especially cinnamon applesauce. Hmmm...my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Anyway, I had never been so happy for Easter than I was that year. (Even though Easter is my favorite holiday, that year it was made 2,000 times better.)

Moving on...when I was in high school I thought about doing a media fast, but thought it would be too hard considering my intake of AIM, MySpace and Xanga. Well, since then my media intake has only gotten worse. I crave time to be informed on every little detail of the world around me, which is good, considering I'm double majoring in Journalism/New Media and Communication. But, currently I'm feeling a little worn down by it all. I feel like I'm in the know about too much. (On that note, I also considered giving up any form of gossip for Lent this year, but considering 85% of the conversations at SHU are in some form gossip, I don't think I can really avoid it at all costs, but I will still be trying to cut back.)

Anyway, over this past summer, while I worked at Jumonville I felt so free from the tension of being so in the know. I actually liked the process of not knowing everything and not knowing what was happening around the world while I was in a "bubble" up on that mountain. It made me enjoy my time there even more and appreciate the news that I did get randomly even more. So even though I do ADORE Seton Hill, I think that limiting my intake of the outside world would make me feel even more appreciative of this baby mountain like I am with Jumonville.

So, a media fast it is. However, I need some rules. I know I cannot go cold turkey so I've made up some boundaries.

• Internet. I'm giving up everything, except websites I have to look at for class and my Seton Hill email account, considering SHU doesn't know how to communicate without email; I have to be able to check it.
  • Reading. Again giving up everything except what I have to read for classes and the Bible of course, and if this turns into me actually having time to read for fun, then I'm only reading books that have to do with religion in some form. (So that book about the spiritual journey of George W. Bush that I've been dragging along fits in this category.)
  • TV. None. This shouldn't be too hard considering I don't watch T.V. unless there is nothing else to do, which during the school year is very rare.  
  • Music. I cannot live without music and I never think I would be able to, but on that note (pun intended) I will only listen to Christian music. I feel like I've downloaded a sufficant amount and if I end up getting bored with what I have, I have friends that I'm sure will let me borrow what they have as well.
  • TalkingOne site I looked at said to give up cell phones but that is taking this a little too far, considering that is my only form of communication left for people outside of Seton Hill. However, like I said I'm going to try to cut back on being involved in the gossip conversations that float around like mad on this hill and I'm working on that "speaking in turn" thing so that I become a better listener. I feel like I am a good listener but I think everyone could do better in this category and I'm a camp counselor so I should be able to accomplish this better than I am currently. Also, I have to be able to call home on Sundays, it's basically a rule.

We'll see how this works out. If it doesn't I could always be generic and give up pop (soda). No worries, I'll be sure to blog about it all if I do make it through around Easter. 

Sounds great, Chelsea.

I can actually imagine giving up the internet for a while -- not while classes are in session, but maybe during the summer. But I really can't imagine giving up reading.

More power to ya darlin'. You're a strong kid so I'm sure you'll do wonderfully.

I hope you realize how proud you make your dad. He sends me your blogs all the time. What an inspiration your are. All the best with your media fast. May it cause much growth in God.
Barb