« Sex is in the title: now you're going to read this | Home | Kellee Maize...not your typical rapper »

March 25, 2010

But what will we line the hamster’s cage with now?

I have to admit that I’m not going to be too disappointed if newspapers completely go away during my lifetime, which according to Robert Darnton in A Case for Books, might actually happen. At the end of chapter eight he says, “A few have survived but most have been lost, irretrievably lost. Unlike bison and forest, they cannot be revived. The moral of the tale stands as a corrective to the lore of journalists: nothing is more dead than yesterday’s newspaper, except yesterday’s destroyed newspaper” (129).

I actually never thought of the newspaper as dying breed until coming to college. Before college I read our city paper everyday and then got even more news from the television programs my parents watched as I did my homework. I was so engrossed in both forms of news but at the time the paper is what took me away from my homework more because I had to physically sit down with it and take the time to read the articles, instead of being able to simultaneously watch the T.V. news shows and doing other things at the same time. Obviously in today’s society of everyone apparently wanting everything right away (although I know there are a few people out there that are still able to wait for things) newspapers take up too much time.

Although I would say that I like being able to actually hold what I’m reading, magazines do a much better job of getting that done, since they don’t leave ink marks on your fingers when you’re done.