« "You're killing me Smalls!" | Home | "Ya'don't know me." »

March 18, 2010

Song of the day: Fashion by Lady Gaga

On page 128 in Writing Material, Elizabeth Eisenstein said, "Sixteenth-century publications not only spread identical fashions but also encouraged the collection of diverse ones.  Books illustrating diverse costumes worn throughout the world, were studied by artists and engravers and duplicated in so many contexts that stereotypes of regional dress styles were developed.  They acquired a paper life for all eternity and may be recognized even now on dolls, in operas, or at costume balls."

This reminds me of hmm...myself. I love fashion and finding new trends. But I don't know how I could do that back before magazines and especially the internet became the norm. I think that people must have been even more creative with outfits back then because of the small amount of what they had to work with and things became popular through what they saw other people doing (which is still true today, but not in the same exact ways.)

I know for me if I want to try something new with my style I instantly go online and type in a certain product into the search bar and look up different images of how other people have tried the look and see what I think looks good and then add in my own style and out comes my look. I don't think it was that easy back then with all of those drawings. 

Even now with shows like Project Runway where the designers draw out their assignments, it still makes me "upset" when the outfits don't come down the runway they way I thought they should based on the task they are given and what their sketchs looked like. In Megan's blog, she uses this same quote by saying nearly the same thing - only with books turning into movies. Which is also true when you think about characters in your mind while reading and then the movie comes out and all of your ideas are changed. 

Although it's also easier now to just look through magazines for fashion ideas too, with the even further advancement of technology we can see how television and internet has made access to these ideas even broader and greater than they probably even could have imagined back in the 16th century. 

I just commented on Jessie's blog about how interesting it was that she thought of discussing how print technology has affected paper money, and now I am reading about your discussion of how print has affected clothing. I really liked this article because it brought up these sorts of ideas about the ways our everyday life is affected by writing and print in ways that we don't normally consider. P.S.- I'm always disappointed about this when I watch Project Runway too!