« The Proposal: Will this affect the future? | Home | Google me....everything. »

April 13, 2010

Give me something new, Espen.

While reading Espen Aarseth's Cybertext, I have been pretty bored a few times. 1) Because some of the time I have to admit the text is going over my head with his fancy words but 2) I start to think of other things when I'm reading because I have heard of his ideas so many times before in other courses.

I know that when Aarseth came out with this book, it was all a new way of thinking, but now, when I am living in a more technology-based state of mind, this information is too redundant to make me think that some personally new ideas will come of it.

The part of the reading that I could focus on was the nonlinear reading argument. Like Tiffany did in her blog, I thought about our time with Calvino and how we didn't seem to like his style of writing very much because of his breaking of the linear form of reading mold for us. (Or at least me.) But I don't think that I didn't like Calvino because of his writing style, it was for other reasons. I know that we always bring up the "choose your own adventure novels" when we talk about linear reading, but really that is as far as a book can go. Books have structure they have endings, they HAVE to have endings. Cybertext does not need an ending. If someone wanted to, they could technically link every website to every other website through a form of nonlinear reading. But that would be a waste of time and would be never ending work.

The ideas brought up by Aarseth in this section I have to say has got me a little bored. I know books are linear, there's not much we can do about that. Give me something new, please.