« Give me something new, Espen. | Home | 13 years later & still true »

April 20, 2010

Google me....everything.

"Who could not be moved by the prospect of bringing virtually all the books from America's greatest research libraries within the reach of all Americans, and perhaps eventually to everyone in the world with access to the Internet?" (Darton, page 15)

Well, Darton, I don't know. I feel like this would be a great idea, why haven't we done this yet? Oh right, because it would be a lot to upload and copyright issues....blah, blah, blah. Well, I think this would be a good idea. I like how Darton continues this point too by saying...

"Not only will Google's technological wizardry bring books to readers, it will also open up extraordinary opportunities for research, a whole gamut of possibilities from straightforward word searches to complex text mining."

While I think it would be a good idea for all of this information to be open and free online for everyone, I don't think it will ever happen and it would be very hard to maintain and keep track of so that everyone would always have up-to-date and correct information.

Right now, while there is already a vast amount of information found online, not all of it is great and it is already hard to keep track of it all. If Google was able to get on all this information online it would be wonderful to everyone that got to use it, but it would be horrible for whoever had to run it all. So while I would not mind having the information there, do not sign me up to help keep it there.