« So much to say... | Main | scared... »

How respectable!

Robbins and Prejean, Dead Man Walking: The Shooting Script -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

PREJEAN: I try to follow the example of Jesus, that every person is worth more than his worst act.
CLYDE: That is not a person. This is an animal. No, I take that back. Animals don't rape and kill their own kind. Matt Poncelet is God's mistake. And you hold the poor murderer's hand? You're going to comfort him when he dies? No one was there to comfort Hope when those two animals put her face down in the wet grass in those woods.

Well, if this play doesn't show alot of the principles of CST, then I don't know what does. But I want to talk about Sr. Helen and how respectable she truly is. Clyde's quote is an example of how alot of people would think of a convicted murderer. How much strength and love it must have taken for Sr. Helen to rise above all of this, and be there for Matt on his road to death. This woman is certainly one to admire.

Posted by CheraPupi at September 20, 2005 11:14 AM

Chera,
Sometimes it seems as though Sister Prejean is infAlliable - but she even wonders if she should get involved, she has doubts, etc. She embodies the values of unconditional love - when most everyone turned away, she chose to stick it out and be there with Matt. It is absolutely amazing.

Posted by: Katie Aikins at September 21, 2005 7:43 AM

Wow, I feel popular. I got so many comments! Haha. Thanks guys!

Posted by: Chera Pupi at September 20, 2005 10:46 PM

I give Sister Prejean alot of credit too. I also agree with you that she did something that a noraml sister wouldnt have done, that is, stick by the side of a murderer while on death row. She is an extraordinary woman. At the end, how she came back to her house, how everyone still loved her the same, nothing changed that was great.

Posted by: Denamarie at September 20, 2005 5:55 PM

Chera I agree with you 100% Prejean is such a strong person to be able to be there for Matt. She certainly does live by Jesus' example to be able to find the good in everyone and be able to show love for everyone.

Posted by: Sean Runt at September 20, 2005 1:22 PM

That's a great quote to talk about, Chera. How do the authors of Machinal and Trifles represent the murder, and the murderers? Compare that with how this script presents the issues.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at September 20, 2005 12:53 PM

Chera, in my blog I talked about all of the strength that Matt had to stay so firm the whole play. But, I didn't even realize all that Sr. Helen was going through. That's tough to deal with let alone, without anyone else to help you. It's society massing against you. I think standing alone for something that you can't justify to anyone else, but you know is right, is the hardest thing of all.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at September 20, 2005 11:34 AM