« How respectable! | Main | Reading the Trib,,, »

scared...

Spot-News Roundup -- News Writing (EL 227)

Prof. Jerz has been emphasizing lately, the fact that alot of his students can write well, they're just used to literature writing or some other style of writing. This is completely the case for me. I have never written a news article before. I have, on the other hand, written many many papers for literature. So naturally, when we got this assignment, I was kind of scared. Changing styles has been very difficult for me. Perhaps more than I thought it would, but nonetheless, I am learning. Slowly but surely. I haven't received my spot news back yet, so I'm not sure how I did, but I was confidant. It actually sounded like a real news article, so that in itself is improvement. I also had an easier time shortening sentences and writing leads and things like that. So all in all, I think that the spot news exercise was a very good learning experience.

Posted by CheraPupi at September 20, 2005 11:42 AM

Umm, I'm not sure that I am experienced enough for that yet! I might need a little more practice. Thank you for the offer though!

Posted by: Chera Pupi at September 27, 2005 9:42 PM

Glad to hear you're enjoying your experiences with news writing -- if you want to build your confidence and get some more experience, why not try writing an article for the Setonian?

We're having meetings from 2:00-3:00 p.m. in Admin. 506 and from 6:00-7:00 p.m. in Admin. 401, both this Thursday, to discuss ideas for the next issue and assign articles to writers.

Posted by: ChrisU at September 21, 2005 10:52 AM