« So much to say... | Main | How respectable! »

So much to say...

Wojtyla, The Jeweller's Shop -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

ANDREW:
This made me think that beauty accessible to the senses can be a difficult gift or a dangerous one;
I met people led by it to hurt others
-and so, gradually, I learned to value beauty
accessible to the mind, that is to say, truth.

I love literature. There are two things that I admire most, one of which, I talked about before. The first, is the timelessness of literature. I love how literature written over 200 years ago can apply to our lives today. The second, is the fact that literature is so universal. Literature speaks of human nature, and human nature, never changes. This is why I chose this quote to talk about.
We, as humans, are superficial. Overly superficial at certain points of our lives. At one point or another, we will at least ONE time come to the realization that Andrew did here. Beauty is difficult. I'm sure every single one us has experienced beauty working in evil ways at one time or another. Like when we were in gradeschool or middle school or even high school, and the really goodlooking people who everyone wanted to be like would cling together and make fun and talk about and gossip about people who they thought were inferior because they looked a little different. This happens, and I think that we all will come to see at least once, that outer beauty is nowhere near as important as inner beauty.

Posted by CheraPupi at September 18, 2005 12:24 PM

I agree also with everyone else! I think that this was the first "love" story that we have read so far. I, like others, can realte to it and always makes reading that much better! I think that the characters were great and the ending was 'expected' i guess lol!

Posted by: Gina at September 21, 2005 12:00 AM

Thanks for your comments girls! It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who feels the way that I do!

Posted by: Chera Pupi at September 19, 2005 8:15 AM

This play was phenomanal Chera, i agree. The lines/quotes were just magnificent. The way the author made the characters talk alone, by theirselves was great and was a better way for the characters to express theirselves.

Posted by: Denamarie at September 18, 2005 8:16 PM

It's definatly my favorite play so far, too. Because the characters had such long lines, it was more like reading a story than anything, and I liked that.

Posted by: Amanda at September 18, 2005 5:43 PM

I totally agree about the timelessness of literature. I think this story inparticular has a way of speaking to its readers. I know that I can relate to it more than any of the other plays we've read thus far. It has a way of filling me with both hope and sadness at the same time.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at September 18, 2005 1:20 PM