« Chapter 7 | Main | Inner Music »

Details, details, details...

AP Guide to News Writing (Ch 5 to 7) -- News Writing (EL 227)

Chapter 9 of the AP Guide to Newswriting is about details and throwing in a splash of color in an unlikely place in order to get the reporter's point across in a kind of indirect way. I especially liked the section on small, specific details. I like the idea of using details rather than words alone, to convey a point. It's something that sounds a lot easier than it is I'm sure. I personally have a very hard time with this. It could be because of the fact that I have a hard time with newswriting in general, but I can't ever get my point across in an article without it sounding like a paper for literature. When I think that it sounds good, it doesn't to anyone else. It's quite frustrating actually.

Posted by CheraPupi at October 11, 2005 7:43 PM

You guys are right. I think that many newswriters (especially new ones like me) get color confused with more description and more adjectives. Like you said Chera, it's hard. But I think this chapter at least cleared things up a little bit for me.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at November 8, 2005 8:45 AM

I think I have that same feeling too. I think because journalism is so black and white it is difficult to splash color. It takes a good reporter to put a hook into a story without being bias.

Posted by: Kevin Hinton at October 13, 2005 5:12 PM