« | Main | Homecoming... »

Marlowe, Faustus (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Benvolio
My head is lighter than it was by th'horns,
But yet my heart more ponderous then my head,
And pants until I see that conjuror dead.

I thought that this quote was interesting. I love it. I often feel this way, so I related to it immediately. It actually happens a lot. My head tells me that I should do one thing, or that something is more important, but my heart tells me otherwise. Do any of you ever feel like that? I know that the girls have! But do guys ever feel this way? Or is it just an annoying, kind of romantic, girl thing?

Posted by CheraPupi at October 10, 2005 4:25 PM

Haha thanks for your input everyone! Especiall you Andy! Way to be the first guy to step up and admit you actually have FEELINGS!!

Posted by: Chera Pupi at October 11, 2005 11:33 PM

Chera,

Everday of my life I have this....however, I have learned to just listen to my head....it is safer that way.

Notice how no boys have commented on this, yet.

Posted by: Katie Aikins at October 11, 2005 10:57 PM

Well ladies, I'm not gonna lie... guys do feel this way! But like Lorin said sometimes we don't want to admit it. However, I think Benvolio expresses his as a contrast to Faustus not letting his emotions be understood by the other characters in the play. The audience know because of his internal dialogue.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 11, 2005 10:12 PM

I'm not going to lie... I sometimes have these feelings. Lorin, you may be right about guys not wanting to admit their feelings. Benvolio in this play does share his feelings as Chera pointed out above. He was open to others, something that Faustus really didn't do. We know what Faustus was feeling because of his internal dialogue, but to many others they were hidden.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 11, 2005 8:52 PM

I bet the guys have similar feelings; they just don't want to admit it! Guys like to seem sure of themselves like they always know what to do. Or they want to act as if things aren't a big deal and so they act like things don't bother them, even if they really do. At least, from my experience, that is how a lot of guys are.
But us girls, we do the opposite (myself included). We make a big deal out of everything and we outwardly struggle with these sort of feelings.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 11, 2005 4:49 PM

Why do you think the character Benvolio is in this play? What light does Benvolio and his internal struggle shed on our understanding of Faustus himself?

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 11, 2005 3:46 PM

Yeah Chera I related easily to that line as well.

I feel like that all the time!!

Posted by: AmandaNichols at October 11, 2005 3:01 PM

I feel the same way all the time as well Chera. I think that everyone gets this feeling everyonce in a while. But i think girls get this more often then boys; with problems with BOYS!

Posted by: Denamarie at October 11, 2005 2:04 PM