« What would He think today? | Main | »

Thank goodness for Dr. Jerz!

Hey everybody! My surgery went well (in case any of you were wondering). It was exploratory surgery on my knee to try to figure out why I am in so much pain. My doctor found lots of things wrong with me and he fixed me. I'm actually in less pain now (2 days after surgery) than I was before. I should be back for basketball season too! But anyways, this is what I have to say about the York Corpus Christi Plays.

GOD:
Here now beneath me an island name I,
And this isle shall be "Earth." Now be, as is right,
Earth wholly, and Hell, and this--Heaven on high...

I really like this quote. I like how God says that Earth is an island. I just picture myself up with God looking down on Earth, and picturing it just as he describes. Honestly though, thank goodness for Dr. Jerz's notes. If it weren't for them, I would have been very, very confused. I appreciate that very much Dr. Jerz! I'm not sure if it would have been easier if I didn't miss so much class.

Posted by CheraPupi at October 6, 2005 10:18 AM

Glad to hear you're on the mend, and thanks for the feedback on my notes. Plenty of books on drama just kind of skip over this era of drama, but the York plays went on for several generations in England, and they are just one example of the kinds of plays that might have been put on elsewhere in Europe during this time. Drama has always taken on a political role, and I think it's important to a wide range of possible cultural outlooks over time, rather than just focusing on what drama of our time has been doing.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 6, 2005 11:50 AM