« God is too subtle... | Main | Cover Page 3-Newswriting. »

Bolt, A Man for All Seasons -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

MATTHEW:All right, so heís down on his luck! Iím sorry. I donít mind saying that: Iím sorry! Bad luck! If Iíd any good luck to spare he could have some. I wish we could all have good luck, all the time! I wish we had wings! I wish rainwater was beer! But it isnít! . . . And what with not having wings but walking-on two flat feet; and good luck and bad luck being just exactly even stevens; and rain being wateródonít you complicate the job by putting things in me for me to miss!

Matthew is a very interesting character. This line shows his true character, along with many other comments that he makes and things that he does. This line especially though, shows his guilty conscience. He feels bad that More told him that he will be missed, so he creates this idea that he is nothing to be missed (which he probably isn't) and that More saw through him all along and the only reason that he could possibly say these nice things to him is because he was trying to get him to stay for cheap. How selfish...

Posted by CheraPupi at November 10, 2005 6:26 PM

I totally agree Chera, good point! I think it's really concieted.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at November 28, 2005 10:40 AM