« Cover Page-Drama | Main | »

God is too subtle...

Bolt, A Man for All Seasons -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

"God's my God...But I find him rather too subtle...I don't know what he wants."

I'm not really too into this play yet, but this line was interesting to me. I wonder what it would have been like to live in those days when there was controversy over religion and so much corruption in the Catholic church. I thought about this over and over, and came to the conclusion that it depends on the person. If you're willing to look and search for God's signs, you will find them. If you're willing to accept them as God's signs and not mere coincidence, you will see them. But we as humans can't help but feel the same way at times. We hear from our preists and preachers and we read in the bible what God wants from us, but does God come and talk to us directly and tell us the exact decisions to make and what to do in every possible scenario? Probably not for the average person. So we wonder. What does God really want? So if you agree with my opinion, does that mean that More isn't as holy and as good a person as he thinks he is since he's not seeing God's signs? Or was it simply too hard to see in that day and age with all of the corruption and evil around? And has our world really changed ALL that much from those times? It's interesting to think about.

Posted by CheraPupi at November 8, 2005 3:55 PM