« What, how, and why | Main | What the heck is going on? »

How would they know?

Wilson, Fences -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

I don't really have a single line or quote, but I want to talk about the comments, like on page 456 telling about Rose and how she feels. Also, at the beginning of the play when They introduce Troy and Bono and talk about how Bono is loyal to Troy and is usually the talkitive one. I know that we discussed stage directions in the past and Dr. Jerz said that the versions that we read are the ones meant to be read, not seen, therefore, there are more stage directions and things like that. However, these aren't really stage directions, they're more explanations of the characters. How would the audience know these things? It's not like these things are obvious, Wilson goes into depth telling about the characters. Some authors use narrators to do this job, but Wilson doesn't. So how would the audience know?

Posted by CheraPupi at November 13, 2005 4:49 PM

Chera makes a valid point about the stage directions. I think i'd rather see most of the plays we have read acted out before I read them. There are certain things that the audience shoudl figure out for themselves about the characters.

Posted by: Rachel Prichard at November 14, 2005 12:46 AM