« Chapter 7 Oral Presentation | Main | »

...Or at least to persuade them

Schnitzler, Professor Bernhardi (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Bernh: I wish to begin my term of imprisonment as quickly as possibble. Preferably to-morrow.
Cyprian: But-
Bernh: I want to have this whole situation behind me. That is the only thing that matters to me now. The whole of these past months are as good as wasted for my work and my profession. Nothing but conferences and hearing. And what has come of it all? As a legal question the whole thing was distasteful enough: now I am about to see it develop into a political storm. And from that I shall flee, to prisonis there is no other refuge. My business is to cure people, or, at any rate to persuade them that I can do so. And to this I want to return with all possible speed.

I thought that this was interesting. You hear all of the time how prisoners who are released usually end back in prison. But someone who has not yet been to prison seeking it as a refuge? This really tells the reader how bad the situation is for Bernhardi. When I first read this line, I thought, "Wow, he really loves his job." Then I read it again, and the part where he says, "...at any rate to persuade them that I can do so." I'm kind of torn about the Professor. I can't decide whether I like him or not. It kind of made me mad that he said that. I guess it's not a doctor-like thing to say. I'd like to believe that doctors have complete and total faith in themselves and KNOW that they can help their patients. I don't know. Maybe I'm reading too into this line.

Posted by CheraPupi at November 17, 2005 6:40 PM

I agree Chera. I too would like to trust Doctors. But you know what, they're people, they're humans. You just can't trust people and that's how it always is. You've got to have faith in yourself and in what you believe in. In my case, I believe God. I know that if I get sick or something happens to me, God is actually teaching me something. I have learned not to trust doctors in today's world too much because many times, they tell you bad news just so you have to come back. I think that the healthcare industry is turning into a money hungry business. I know that God will take care of me and I must realize that the situation is him in disguise.

Chera, I kind of went off on my soap box there for a minute but I think you get my point. Nice blog!

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at November 18, 2005 10:08 AM