« How would they know? | Main | Chapter 7 Oral Presentation »

What the heck is going on?

I am so confused by this play that I truly can't even choose a quote to talk about. There are so many doctors that I am getting them all mixed up and then I have to keep going back to the character list page and then back to where I left off, and then I get even more confused and it's taken me about 2 hours to read this play, and I still don't really know what's happening. I don't quite understand the first Act and the "illegal operation" and why it happened. I don't understand why the Professor wouldn't let the priest in to give the girl her last rites. I'm also not too clear on the Sister's character in the play and what exactly she is there to do.

Hoch:...Well, Sister, are you going to the Ball, too?
Sister: Oh hardly, Doctor.
Hoch: Why, is dancing forbidden?
Sister: Oh, no Doctor. We are not a Religious Order. Nothing is forbidden.

So she's a sister, but not in a religious order? I don't understand. Thank goodness for peer's blogs and class discussions. Bear with me tomorrow guys...Comments are WELCOME and NEEDED!!!

Posted by CheraPupi at November 15, 2005 2:22 PM

Yes, Kayla, I've noticed you've cleared that up for a lot of people who were confused. I have to admit I was confused about the scene at first, but if you read the last few pages of Act III really carefully during the meeting, it sort of recaps what happened to cause the whole situation.

Interesting about the abortion thing, I think about that.

Also, the ignorance is bliss is sometimes true. A doctor’s job is really to "improve the quality of life" not necessarily prolong it. And I think that in this case, Bernhaldi really did the right thing as far as that is concerned. She would have been miserable in her last moments of life if he had let the priest in.

Posted by: Lorin Shumacher at November 16, 2005 12:01 AM

Chera, because the nursing profession evolved in part out of the charitable work of nuns, in some European hospitals a high-ranking nurse is given the courtesy title "Sister."

Kayla, you're right on target.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at November 15, 2005 11:41 PM

The doctors confused me as well. I copied the list of them into Word so I could refer back to their descriptions with scrolling up. Then I realized that their particular jobs didn't really matter much.

Hoch wants to know the cause of the blood-poisoning that the patient has. I think "illegal operation" is an abortion -- "KURT: They might have kept her in the gynecological section."

Berhardi wouldn't let the priest in because then the patient, who is all doped up and believes she'll live, will realize that she's actually going to die. Ignorance is bliss.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at November 15, 2005 4:10 PM

This whole entire play is confusing. I dont know what the main idea is and or what is going on either. Hopefully as the day goes on there will be more blogs and we will get a better understanding of the play.

Posted by: Denamarie at November 15, 2005 3:56 PM