« I know her!! | Main | Who knew? »

January 31, 2007

My eyes are now open!!

Foster (6-9, 11, 14) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"More common than titles are situations and quotations." "But even I can sometimes recognize a biblical allusion"

I am Christian. I believe in the Bible and everything it has to say. However, one thing that occurred to me as I was reading Chapter 7 of Foster, is that I never really sat and looked at the Bible as purely literature. After reading this chapter, I began to look back on things that I have read or watched TV and realized that Foster is right. So many things that I have read over the years can be argued that they are based on a bible story. The Bible is an absolutely brilliant piece of literature. The stories are good, and interesting, and contain symbolism and similes and metaphors, vivid descriptions, and they they have morals.. I really have never thought of the Bible in such a way. Foster also says that even if you're not a Bible scholar, you are likely to recognize an allusion to the Bible. He is very right. The Bible MIGHT actually be the most easily recognized allusion an author can use (of course this is my opinion). I'd actually be interested in doing a survey of some sort to see how many allusions to Bible stories people would actually recognize. I'm definately going to keep this in mind for a project later on down the road. Once more, Foster pulls through on stating the obvious and opening my eyes!

Posted by CheraPupi at January 31, 2007 1:34 PM

I really like the idea of your survey! One thing that I thought about when I was reading this chapter was how weird it was the the book doesn't necassarily have anything to do with the actual Bible, but it still can be using it within its pages. It isn't always obvious but I feel that there are Biblical references in almost every piece of literature, its all about how you percieve it.

Posted by: BethanyMerryman at February 1, 2007 6:38 PM

Wow, I totally understand what you are saying. I too am a Christian, and I do read the Bible, but like yourself, I never have looked at the Bible as pure literature. I am always reading to find an inspirational scripture or gain more knowledge, but never to just read for the literature aspect. And I can see now that a lot of literature today is connected to bible stories. If you think about, I believe that the Bible or atleast the scriptures in it, really are the first pieces of literature. So it only makes sense that a lot of literature today is modeled after some of the stories in the Bible.

Posted by: Margaret Jones at January 31, 2007 10:25 PM

That sounds like a cool project to do. I bet a lot of people recognize Biblical allusions without even realizing they're from the Bible. Foster says something in the Greek chapter about how sometimes you recognize a Greek allusion even if you've only seen the Looney Tunes version. I think this applies to the Bible because it's so ingrained in our culture that people are influenced by it even when they don't realize it.

Posted by: MatthewHenderson at January 31, 2007 6:18 PM