« Hey, they're human! | Main | Yay blank verse day :( »

March 29, 2007

Encounter with the Enemy-Sweet Sixteen!

O'Connor (Choose One of Three) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"In those times, she said, everything was normal but nothing gad been normal since she was sixteen."

I totally agree with Lorin and Jennifer. The past is SO important in this story. The General and Sally are complete opposites. The General wants to forget the past for he feels it has nothing to do with today (which is ironic for it is why he has the General's uniform and gets all the attention he loves) and Sally can't forget it. Lorin talks about her nostalgia in her blog, but I would go a step further and say that Sally really wishes she were 16 again. She says that's when things were "normal" so obviously she yearns to go back. She's been in college for 20 years and she's obviously having such a hard time with the fact that her grandfather might die. She wants him there to be proud of her and to make her look good in front of everyone. It's almost as if she still has the mentality of a 16 year old girl.

Posted by CheraPupi at March 29, 2007 12:24 PM

I also agree that the General wants to forget the past and move on in his life. I also think that it is ironic in a sense because he loves getting attention. Sally wants to go back in time and the General wants to foget the past. hmm... I very much agree that she seems to have the mentality of a 16 year old girl.

Posted by: Derek Tickle at March 29, 2007 4:54 PM