« Sooo predictable! | Main | Encounter with the Enemy-Sweet Sixteen! »

March 27, 2007

Hey, they're human!

Desmond, ''Flannery O'Connor's Misfit and the Mystery of Evil.'' -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"While there are surely elements of self-pity and self-justification in his statement, his mental suffering, his sense of guilt, and his questioning cannot be ignored or dismissed, because it reflects a spiritual condition that is both fundamentally human and conspicuously modern in temper."

As I was reading this article, I realized that I felt the same way about the misfit as I did about Mr. Shiftlet. After all of the wrong and "evil" things they do, I still don't hate them. I want to hate them. I want to think they're "evil" men, but I don't. This quote kind of explains what I was trying to say in class yesterday (kind of). Something about the way they think and talk to other characters, and the thoughts and feelings they reveal, makes me think that they are not bad people. Could they just be really good con-men who say these things as lies? They could be. I think that's the beauty of O'Connor's work, she really makes you wonder. She doesn't come right out and tell you, "This is what this person means." I feel that the Misfit and Mr. Shiftlet have some "good" in them as Desmond points out. They are just confused men who are struggling within to figure out where they belong.

Posted by CheraPupi at March 27, 2007 3:49 PM

Well I'm glad someone else agrees with me! Yesterday in class people were looking at me like I was crazy!

Posted by: Chera Pupi at March 27, 2007 8:16 PM

That always is an odd reaction. I've had that same reaction as well. You know an "evil" character is well developed when you can sympathize with him/her. There have not been many cases like this, but I agree that both the Misfit and Mr. Shiftlet are good examples of this type of character. They are not evil, per se, they are simply struggling with the darker side of human nature.

Posted by: Jennifer Prex at March 27, 2007 4:37 PM