« Italian Sonnet | Main | Whose comma? »

March 18, 2007

I'm undecided!

Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"...we got very worked up after 9/11 not because of Osama bin Laden but because people on the radio kept saying "enormity" when they meant "magnitude"..."

When I first read Dr. Jerz's email regarding students' reactions to this book, I was kind of nervous. I thought FOR SURE I'd be one of the ones to get mad. Honestly, I really like the book. I can really relate to Truss and other "sticklers" out there. I'm one of those people who can't even read a book for pleasure without picking out the grammatical errors. It's not even that I look for them, they literally pop out on the page. I think it's hilarious to see examples of public signs and advertisements, and even newspaper articles with incorrect punctuation. I do, however, have two complaints. The first, is the quotation above. I'm not going to lie, I was a little upset when I read this. I can go on and on about why and how I feel about 9/11, but that's a totally different conversation. Whereas I DO understand her point, I feel that she could have demonstrated it with a different issue. The second complaint that I have, is that I find the book a little redundant. Does anyone else share my feelings on these issues? Just wondering!

Posted by CheraPupi at March 18, 2007 2:50 PM

I do agree with you. I could also see the point she made with the 9/11 announcements on the radio, but that is a horrible example to use. The event itself was so horrifying that a mistake like that seems much too insignificant to worry about.

And as for the redundancy...yeah, it did get redundant. However, I think that was the point. In repeating everything over and over, Truss effectively drilled the points into the readers' heads.

Posted by: Jennifer Prex at March 18, 2007 7:33 PM