« Whose comma? | Main | Decent guy? »

March 22, 2007

The enemy of grammar?

Truss, Eats, Shoots and Leaves -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

ďThe dash is nowadays seen as the enemy of grammar, partly because overtly disorganized thought is the mode of most email and (mobile phone) text communication, and the dash does an annoyingly good job in these contexts standing in for all other punctuation marks.Ē

I never use the dash. I realized this after reading this section. I do not know when the proper time to use it is, so I just donít use it. I donít even use it in text messages and emails. Working in the Writing Center, I see papers literally full of dashes. Sometimes a paper has so many dashes that it is all you see when you look at the paper. I donít ever recall being taught in school when to use the dash.

Posted by CheraPupi at March 22, 2007 8:43 PM

I know that I never learned how to use a dash. Not even when the dash is in a word like twenty-three. I feel as if we are just expected to understand where dashes belong, but I find them very tricky. I feel like the only time I could us them in a sentence is when they are similar to the comma and you can just take out that entire section, you know what I mean?

Posted by: BethanyMerryman at March 22, 2007 10:16 PM