A Brief, Shining Moment of Unfamiliarity and then... Back to Basics.

"Allowing for the fact that each part must be independent and distinct as well as connected, a plan or graph might be made of four overlapping triangles, with a list of common elements indluded within the triangles as a 'key'" (103).

I was kind of disappointed that Chapter 5 was about plot and structure. This is one of the most basic ideas of literature... I think I recall first learning about plot in third grade! I was excited by Chapter 4 because it brought up a few ideas that I had never considered before about point of view and now it seems like we went backwards and back down to the basics.

The one thing I did enjoy from this chapter was the idea of using a venn-diagram-like graph to help find similarities between the different parts of a literary work. Each individual section of the graph represented a different part and then each part overlapped in the middle. Reoccurring passages and ideas that appeared in all of the sections were listed under the section in which it appeared. I think that this could be yet another useful tool to use during my newly adopted close-reading process... 

Melissa Schwenk said:

Cody, I liked the venn diagram illustration, too. I thought it would be helpful in setting up a thesis and a better way to see comparisons than using a bubble graph or web.

I actually knew a lot of chapter four and chapter five better explained to me how to write an essay about structure/plot without summarizing too much or working in chronological
order.

Cody Naylor said:

Aja, I do agree with you... there were a lot of helpful tips for setting up a structure essay and the information wasn't too overwhelming or scattered... Melissa, I agree... the diagram could help write an essay too!