On Setting...

I can't really find a quote in Roberts Ch. 6 to place at the beginning of this entry. I almost feel like this chapter was completely unecessary because we, as English majors, know what setting is and there is no new or groundbreaking information or insight offered in the chapter about the subject.

I do agree with Roberts that Pie does a good job of setting an eeire tone for his story with his descriptions of the bizarrely decorated abbey and the strangely costumed guests. However, I almost feel like the setting is underutilized in The Masque of the Red Death. The closed-in, cloister-like nature of the abbey does get across the inevitability of the plague, but I think that there should be more significance in the decorum of the rooms in the palace. Poe spends so much time describing the decorations and the different colors of the room, but they ultimately have no effect on the message of the story other than to create an eerie mood.

We have read examples of stories that utilize setting much more effectively in this class, such as The Quick & the Dead. The barren desert setting of the book mirrors the sad, lonely lives that most of the characters in the story lead. However, there are also several instances in which the natural beauty of the desert is pointed out. This conveys the message that no matter how bad one's life may seem, there is always beauty and good to be found... now that's good use of setting! 

Dianna Griffin said:

I agree, this chapter was completely unecessary and boring.

Setting does make the story, and I guess Roberts is just trying to enforce that, but come on be a little more creative. Oh well, a little reminder never hurt I guess.