« Project 2's proposal - Star Wars!!!!!!!!!!!1 | Main | In retrospect. . . »

It's about time. Portfolio 2 is up and at 'em.

Yikes. I am already behind on Portfolio 2. I guess I am too caught up on the thought of Interactive Fiction and all of its possibilites. Although I have been labeled as "a hard critic", I feel that there are many oppurtunities to sieze while studying interactive fiction. I have generally hated every minute of it, but that doesn't mean that I can't contribute a bit. Here is just a small portion of what I given to the IF community:

It all started with my website and how to meet the user compatibilty tests. I learned that the User is the main audience, and I need to satisfy him/her. The website helped me learn this by creating something that would appeal to the public, as well as inform them. I think that my website did just that. It informed my peers about Chan Wook-Park's films, and let them know just how they were, in my opinion. I feel that I got a good opinion from Katie Walker's blog, that helped me hone in on what I needed to improve upon.

Next, I edited the Wikipedia website about lacrosse. What I have changed about the website has withstood the test of time. I feel that I contributed to an important website that is used by all kinds of people. You can read more about it my blog entry.

Next, I edited my very own Wikipedia webpage about the life of the man, the legend, Corey Struss. I talked about goats, frisbees, and even Demi Moore. Basically, I was just testing what would happen if I made a stupid entry on Wikipedia. I later found out that WIkipedia took it down, making room for more professional / serious entries. Teehee.

Up next, I revealed to all of me peers that I am a role-player. I am addicted to games because I usually step into their shoes and become the main character. That's just the way that my imagination works. It's not that I want to be another person, I just want to experience that thoughts and actions of another human being. This is the primary choice to do it.

After concluding a revelation of my own, we actually got into the Interactive Fiction genre. Needless to say, my first experiences in the genre were not very good. I felt that I was restricted to a lot of things that I wanted to do. I am used to being able to roam freely, as in MMORPG's, but my expectations for the IF genre were too high. It turns out that there are rules and regulations to it.

After an unsatisfactory experience with Interactive Fiction, I decided to give "Galatea" a shot. After all, it *is* one of the most acclaimed IF games. After playing it, I realized that it was a complete waste of time. There was no physical interaction, besides talking. And even the dialogue was confusing. I was generally disappointed in "one of the finest IF games to grace this generation".

After experiencing my "low" in the IF genre, I stumbled upon something that uplifted my hopes for the genre. "Photopia" was a game that gave me the freedom I needed. It felt like an MMORPG, kind of like the usual games that I play. I included a humorous storyline, as well as a character I could actually "step in the shoes of". It was a breath of fresh air to the IF genre.

Up next came my playlist (Exercise 2) on interactive fiction. I can honestly say that all of it sucked. At first, I played a game called "Castle Adventure.". It was a game that involved an overhead map of what was going on in the castle. You would move your character by using the arrow keys, yet you would run into unexpected monsters that would cause instant death. (IE Trolls). I didn't like this, because there was no way to solve the actual puzzle without trial and error.

Up next on the playlist of death was "The Four Symbols". Kind of like "Photopia", it gave me new hope in the genre of Interactive Fiction. It included a setting that made me interested (a swamp full of witches) and included a background story that made me inquisitive as to whether the witches that were murdered were guilty or note. Overall, it was a good game, because it set the kind of atmosphere that other IF games just seemed to lack.

The worst game in the history of ever was "The Golden Wombat of Destiny." I can honestly say that I didn't get past the first part. I was stuck in a forest / maze, and there were no clues as to how to get out. Grr. I was upset when I couldn't even beat a computer in a test of knowledge.

The last IF game that I played was also a horrendous one. Needless to say, I didn't end the IF section of "Writing for Internet" on a good note. I played a game called "The Golden Flute". What can I say? I'm interested in bards. I later realized that this game didn't have anything to do with them. I was upset, because every time I tried to advance the storyline, I would die, because my party of pixies and princes would die. Argh... Can't I do anything right?

Lastly, I blogged a richly linked blog entry on all of my IF experience. Although it contains links to thje worst games in the history of ever, I feel that it represents my stance on the IF genre.

Next, the comments:

Comment Grande - I gave Jeremy a few tips to look upon when he is designing his IF game.
Comment Primo Here is where I gave Erin some insight on my job as a professional cart attendant. I feel that she will get a lot out of my comment. :)

Now, it's time to get BUCKWILD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:

My blog about "explaining" things in the business world.

I did, Corey. You're livin' the dream! Did you get to drive the cart collector? LOL.