« Wang Chung | Main | Confuzzled »

Sharon Hamilton is just plain uber.

Hamilton, Essential Literary Terms (68-97) -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"Diction denotes the word choice and phrasing in a literary work."

Diction. Where do I start? I've seen this term used loosely on these here blogs, never knowing what it meant. I was also a dink and never took the time to look it up. I'm pretty glad that we have Hamilton's trusty book in proximity, because now I don't have to blush every time someone mentions diction.

Diction is the word choice / phrasing in a piece. This could be abstract or concrete. It could be literal or figurative. It could be a multitude of styles...but either way, it doesn't change the fact that I now know what diction is! YAY!

Another thing was how Hamilton used "The Love Song of Alfred J. Prufrock" to describe an allusion. Since we read that, Hamilton's definition and examples of allusions meant a whole lot more to me. THANKS SHARON HAMILTON! :-D

I was also very surprised and pleased by the explanation of the Prufrock poem. When I read over her explanation I actually found that I recognized the event that she was reffering to. I was so surprised! Usually these allusions just go right over my head.