« A lost art of study... | Main | Youth »

Confuzzled.

O'Connor, ''The Life You Save May Be Your Own'' -- Jerz: EL150 (Intro to Literary Study)

"In the darkness, Mr. Shiftlet's smile stretched like a weary snake waking up by a fire."

I agree with Bethany in that Flanery O'Connor's pieces get worse and worse as we go along. I can never stay on the right track, and they always have some hidden meaning that I would understand if I were smarter. I know the meaning of a story shouldn't be right in your face, but you should only have to ponder over it for a short time to draw your own conclusion. I've pondered this one all night, and nope. I have no idea why Mr. Shiftlet does what he does. Why does he marry Lucynell, when he knows inside that it isn't right? Why does he go through the hassle of marriage only to leave her abandoned? WHY FLANERY?! WHY?!

A lot of people have been saying that Mr. Shiftlet is a Christ-figure, but I think that it is opposite. The quote that I used makes me think of a demon with a snake-like face, staring into the darkness. I think Mrs. O'Connor used irony by leading everyone on that he was like Christ, but...I just have a hunch...

nice observation. I'm reluctant to choose a side on the topic of "What Mr. shiflet really is" because i think he she neither good nor bad. I fell that O'Conner was merely trying to lift him up to a "higher" power status, i don't think which side he's on will ever be clear.