Emotional Art

"what it does do is present a story of this "central trauma of the Twentieth Century" that is more accessible to a general audience than many other accounts, because it is particularly effective at inviting emotional involvement"

pg. 9 The Shoah Goes On

I couldn't agree more. What all of the other historical accounts of the Holocaust cannot do is show you the expressions on the person's face as all the hoorific events are happening. Because of its medium, Maus can do this. The sheer fury Art shows towards his father when he finds out that he burned Anja's diaries (159, My Father Bleeds History) is evident through a shaken fist, a very furrowed brow, and a line that denotes smoking anger above Art's head. Maus does not need to evoke emotion: it is already there on the page to see. One does not need to envision.

Throught the books, there are several extremely graphic drawings of dead Jews, either buring, their eyes screaming in pain, or lying in a dead heap on the floor of Art's office. (41, 72, And Here My Troubles Began). I have seen the actual photographs of the bodies at Auschwitz, but for some reason, the drawings speak louder than pictures. I cannot bear to look at them without being absolutely horrified and a little sick to my stomach.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Emotional Art.

I'm with you there. It does seem as if the drawings in Maus are almost more powerful than the photography. I think part of it might be because the drawings are paired with a story that gets the reader involved and caring--truly caring, not just a tendency to feel sorry.