Just the facts...and then some

"The minute he said it, he wished he could take it back. "Don't Get Shot." "

Anne Hull, Metal to Bone, Day 1: Click

Hull's article doesn't follow the typical quotes-and-facts formula. The story reads like a narrative, with the reader being a watchful third party. Instead of stating the events chronologically, with quotes from the witnesses and victims, Hull gives vivid descriptions of the setting ("a sleeping bag was rolled out...good to go." pg 107). Also, she gives a detailed backstory of each person mentioned in the article, no matter how involved they were (Gil keeps a picture of his son...can wake up together." 105). We watch the crime play out before our eyes; we are inside Lisa Bishop's head as she feels the cold metal touch the back of her neck; inside Gil Mercado as he searches for Lisa's asssailent. Hull's articel does what a police report cannot do: place us at the scene of the crime, in the police car as it romas the slums searching for that Bronco. If I were reading a paper, and I saw this article and one like we had to write for the tuesday morning follow-up, I'd go with Hull's. Facts and figures distance, while details and descriptions humanize.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Just the facts...and then some.

Nessa said:

I loved the narrative style of the article, but maybe that's because I favour prose over newswriting (sorry Dr. Jerz but you knew that). These types of articles really draw the reader in and make them feel like they are a part of the process, not just reading the facts. I can see why it made the book.