Not breaking, but still interesting

"He said he had been two years with Victor Herbert in the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra." pg 282

About New York: Meyer Berger

With this one litte fact, Berger shows us why this story about a homeless old man is worth hearing: it is the story of a still great muscian, having lived in a flophouse and been taken to a charity hospital. Through all the hardships the man had suffered through in hs later years (going blind, for one), he had never lost his musical abilities: they remain intact, and came out when he picked up a violin for the first time in 30 years. This is why the story is interesting: Laurence Stroetz is not an ordinary  old man.

The subject for my next article, first semester freshman, is not hard news: it is sort of a features/human interest piece, like the homeless musician story. Berger found an angle that made his story unusual, which is what I have to do. Instead of focusing on what the freshmen did or didn't like about their first semester in college, I am going to focus on the unusual: instead of getting the "we just didn't get along" answer about roomate compatibility, I am going to focus on the whys and particulars. My sister, for one, had an interesting incident with a fire next to her dorm bed. Somestudents have already decided to transfer: I want to know why: what did they not like about Seton Hill that soured them? why is their new school going to be any different. The little unusual details I will include, instead of the "college is harder than I thought it was", "my roomaye is weird", "I changed my major", etc. There are reasonings behind those thoughts, and I intend to find them.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Not breaking, but still interesting.

Jeremy Barrick said:

Behind the scenes. I like that angle. Instead of approaching your article in a normal fashion, you took a side approach to it. Making it interesting and worth reading. I like uniqueness. I am one of those.

Jeremy Barrick said:

Jackie Johns said:

Getting at the unusual is very important. My article is about holiday stress in (mainly) students, and if I don't also focus on the unusual I fear my article could turn into something scarily similar to a research paper. Just as you must focus on the unique stories of first year freshman, I think it's important for me and for most of our classmates to focus on the unique and personal stories behind their subjects and interviewees.

Chelsea Oliver said:

First of all, I love your article idea. If I wasn't a freshie, I'd be writing this article because you can find the inner details so easily by just sitting and observing conversations in the lobbies. I like that you're actually digging into the angle too, not just touching the surface, I'm sure everyone in the class should be doing that. I think it'll be a great article, good luck.

Carrie Kraszewski said:

Well, that's interesting. I'd almost forgotten that we should make our stories newsworthy by focusing on the unusual things. This is a great example to share with the class