Watching Paint Dry

"being afraid tot stop and take a breath...for fear that winter would return, leaving Wednesday in our memory as nothing more than a sweet and too short dream" pg 213, ABNW

Ken Fuson, Ah, What a Day!

Fusons's article is full of rich imagery.He makes a seemingly mundane assignment (come on, what's lamer than a weather report?) into a delightful little daydream. Mentioning such iconoclastic things such as a new christmas bike, playing outside in a spring breeze, and gardening lift the reader away. We can all picture this kind of day, when you walk outside and just feel happy for no particular reason (like the one day in April when I noticed that there was no temperature change from inside Canevin to outside on the steps). Fuson doesn't come out and say "oh, spring is here. How great." he doesn't need to: he shows us by using all these little nostalgic images, the moments we year for in the winter months (especially if you happened to live in DeChantal Hall last year where the heaters did not work). A good journalist shouldn't have to spell everything out: what he/she wants you to see should be present in the text, through quotes and descriptions and not statements. I bet Fuson could make an article on paint drying interesting.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Watching Paint Dry.

Jeremy Barrick said:

I do agree that Fuson presents rich, full imagery. A clear picture of the point he is trying to make. I feel that spelling things out for the audience makes fools of them.

Jeremy Barrick said:

Tiffany Gilbert said:

I like how you put it, that good journalists don't have to spell everything out. They can be realistic and use imagery and straigt out get the point across with a smile on the readers face at the end of his statement. That is exactly the kind of journalism I want to read.

Tiffany Gilbert said: