what a pina it must have been to take notes

"music is a language in its own right"
Book

This book contained a lot of what I expected: a big focus on egyptian, greek, and chinese characters. What was interesting was finding out all about the forms of writing that weren't lettered. Think how long it woul have taken to take notes in school way back when, especially when observing the intricate detail of the picto/ideaograms. It's true that writing is an art, but it was really an art back in ancient times. Maybe someday, when our script has evolved into something farther, my notes from english class will be hanging up in a museum somewhere.....

and yay for the book calling music a language.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: what a pina it must have been to take notes.

Music being described as a language is a brave statement for this book to make. For many people it is just a bunch of symbols on a page, but to a musician it is a language that they know and understand. I think again of Chinese being foreign to me as music would be as well.

Heh... so you noticed that bit calling music a language. I supposed I can understand that intellectually, but I never learned to read music and have a mystical respect for those who can.

To me however, and I'm speaking personally, not with any authority in the matter, a language has to have some intellectual content in order to convey thoughts. Music (without words) can only convey emotions, and that's only a subset of human communication.

But of course, musical notation does convey information, so I would say that *written* music counts as a language.