THREE IN ONE

Leslie's reading:

"writing lacks such tonal cues of the human voice as pitch and stress, not to mention the physical cues that accompany face to face communication, but it also permits new ways of bridging time and space" pg. 41
WM Baron

And the debate rages on. While writing lacks that verbal intensity that can send shivers up your spine as you listen to a great speech, it preserves. The speech is gone as soon as it is spoken. People have memories that diminish with age. Writing may not be able to capture all that emotional intensity, but it provides a skeleton for future generations to study. A blueprint is always good to have. If the constitution had not been written down but had instead been an oral declaration, we would not have something to refer to when a legal issue threatens to infringe upon the rights and amendments that were put forth.

Stormy's reading:

"If you learn a bunch of facts in separate, academic courses you will passively acquire a lot of inert, fragmented knowledge. You will be the victim of something called "rote learning." But if you engage in integrated, hands-on projects you will achieve integrated, real-world knowledge."  WM Hirsch pg. 184

This quote reminded me of this university. The liberal arts core forces us to acquire at least some knowledge in many areas, so that we are well-rounded. But at times the information seems somewhat useless. What is a future lawyer and actress going to do with information learned in General Biology 1? The knowledge that we acquire through the liberal arts core is scattered, I feel. How does it apply to everyone's major? The facts are there in my mind, but what am I supposed to do with them.

Speaking on the subject of integrated, hands-on learning, I will now turn to two classes that i have to take for my two majors: production and media lab. These two classes, both repeatable, allow me to apply what I have learned in my major classes. In short, they are "field work", applied skills. This "hands-on" work that many other universities do not believe in is why I chose Seton Hill over Shippensburg, Florida Atlantic, and University of Colorado. The small atmosphere allows for it. I don't think I could survive in a school where the primary method of teaching is lectures. One university I applied to taught classes through web cast. That, to me, does not constitute active learning.

David's Blog

"I became increasingly frustrated at not being able to express what I wanted to convey in letters that I wrote...But now, trying to write simple English, I not only wasn't articulate, I wasn't even functional." WM Malcolm X pg. 243

Malcolm X had a very difficult time in prison because he was in two at the same time. Being locked up is bad enough, but not being able to communicate your thoughts to the outside world must have been sheer torture. I have heard of people going insane because they have no outlet for their thoughts: that is why solitary confinement is the worst form of punishment next to death that our government inflicts. The other inmates at least could keep diaries. If the rest of us had nothing to occupy us but our thoughts, the mind would probably implode. In the streets, Malcolm could communicate because he had the outlet: the voice. But locked up, he could no longer speak to the people of the streets. If he had not taught himself to write, Malcolm X may have gone insane with thought build-up.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: THREE IN ONE.

ChrisU said:

Interesting points, Daniella. I especially like the one about Malcolm X being forced to turn from speech to writing (oral to manuscript culture) in order to continue to express his message.