What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Here it is: my last portfolio for EL 336. Never before have I kad a more demanding class than this (except for general chemistry).  Even though I am only a sophmore, I put forth all of my effort because I knew that this class is my last one that really focused on writing. It was a chance to have my literary butt kicked and criticised. From this class, my writing has improved beyond what I thought it could. EL 336 stretched me to my breaking point frequently; I was often tense when handed in assigments. some of the material, mainly Aarseth and Kirschenbaum, was wuite difficult to comprehend and required closer readings. But it was all worth it. I look back on what I wrote as recent as last semester and the writing is barely recognizable. Thank you EL 336; I am glad to get rid of you, but I am glad that you taught me so much.

and Down and out in the Magic Kingdom was one of the most interesting books I have ever read.

Coverage/Timeliness: deadlines and content requirements met with all

The Trivialist in Me-many, many different thoughts on Aarseth

Bentham in the MUD-why Jeremy Bentham would have a problem with MUD's and chatrooms

The Conversion-Lesser's transition into digital communication

Kirschenbaum and Beckett-words are supposed to speak for themselves

The Stupidity of the Human Races mystifies me-the dangers of information publishing on the internet

100 and still grasping at straws-how a computer is like a timecapsule and if text games have distracting elements

Demon waves and little city-the computer has many operation going on all at once like a city; they all intertwine

traces of memory-on how Afternoon incorporates all the elements we love about reading a novel

another socratic slap...sort of-my final thoughts on Kirschenbaum, adressing permanence, ephemerality,and accuract of digital text

hitchhiker-gate-a huge ehtical issue regarding a piece of interactive fiction

needs, purposes, souls, and flight attendants-Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom and the dependence/need for preservation. What is memory?

I Kant believe what the world is coming to-parallels to "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", why Pixar movies are faker than fake, and why Kant would hate the Bitchum society

Interactions:I triggered something in the minds of others

Bentham in the MUD

Kirshcenbaum and Beckett

The Conversion

Depth-essays

The Trivialist in Me

Bentham in the MUD

The Conversion

Kirschenbaum and Beckett

The Stupidity of the Human Races mystifies me

another socratic slap...sort of

Hitchhiker-gate

needs, purposes, souls, and flight attendants

I Kant believe what the world is coming to

Discussion: what others wrote, I followed up on

Chris-

A Well-Annotated Timeline

Racing Towards New Digital Solutions

Leslie-

Kirschenbaum 3 agenda item

Rachel-

Baio blog response

Doctorow 82-206

David-

Hitchhiker

Kirshenbaum (end)

Doctorow-The Beginning

Kayla-

Kirshcenbaum (finish)

Doctorow-82-206

Jeremy-

Kirschenbaum-Text Messaging

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.