All the world's a stage, even the online one

“I think this is not a worrying issue at all,” -Richard Sterling

Informal Style of Electronic Messages Is Showing Up in Schoolwork, Study Finds

Lewin

I'm proud to say that I am a member of the grammar police. I don't believe I have ever used an emoticon or text shortcut in a school assignment. In private emails between me and my friends? Absolutely. I know when to turn the switch on and off.

And now here is the first of what is certainly going to be one of many parallels between theater history and this class:

today we discussed what theater is. There is not really a clear-cut definition, but the authors of Living Theater spend an extensive amount of time theorizing where it might have had its origins. One of the theories is that theater sprung from everyday life, in that we play a series of roles, such as daughter, friends, student, castmate, etc. Each is different, and in each role we act a way we wouldn't in any of the others. There is a time to be casual and a time to be formal, and :) lol omg rotfpmp don't belong in the academic world.

Maybe I'm so rigid with grammar because my fingers never had a chance to get used to texting (the whole month I had it)

speaking of grammar police, I sopt an error: shouldn't Richard Sterling have said "I don't think this is an issue to worry about at all?"

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: All the world's a stage, even the online one.

"Worrying" in that sense sounds like British usage. But we should always cut people a little slack because it's easier to say things out loud that you would probably go back and revise if you had written them down.

I'd never really thought of it that way before, but I think you're right -- there is a performance/role-playing element to online writing that resembles theater. Good eye for detail, Dani.