Our Generation's Guttenberg

Kilian intro/1

"even using a single-volume book to research a topic presents challenges"-3

Boy, does it ever. I'm in the midst of a theater history project, and I spent last night sifting through volumes. Yes, these books have indexes, but sometimes they are very little help. My project is on no theater, so i kept scanning for no in the back and couldn't find it. It turns out that no is referred to as nogaku, a term not shown in the index. So I had to find my info by scanning, which takes forever. In a way, its a mixed blessing, because I was able to find information that I wouldn't have if I'd have just relied on the index as my guide-I think the same goes for all books.

"This freedom of choice has its attractions, but some hypertext poineers have tried to make it look like a revolution on a Gutenbergian scale"-4

Well, I'm going to have to agree with the pioneers. Can you imagine how long it would take to complete a research paper if you had to find the information by scanning books? It would take forever. Even the invention of the electronic card catalog speeds up the process tremendously. I've found all the information I need to complete a research paper in under a half hour. (that having been said, there's still the process of going through it and choosing quotes). I think our parents appreciate the internet more than we do, since for our generation, it was always there (in whatever primitive form-green/black MAC's-yuck).

"Interactives tend to be egalitarian, respecting other people not for their social status or rank, but for their expertise and willingness to share knowledge"-7

The internet acts as a mask. Who we appear to be doesn't really matter: that can be reconstructed on the web. We can put our opinions out on the line. If someone doesn't like them, oh well-chances are you will never actually meet the person. There's no fear of rejection. If people didn't like something you said, you can ignore their comments completely.I've had rude spam comments on my blogs, but they don't phase me. I don't know the person, and don't respect them. If someone leaves a positive comment, that's great-and chanes are I know the person since I have an academic blog.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: Our Generation's Guttenberg.

Andy Lonigro said:

I like the relation of the internet to a mask. It's true. In complete honesty, people don't have to be themselves online. We've all heard the creepy stories about the old men who pretend to be young girls or boys on Myspace. It's the same principle. Online, you can lie about yourself, hide behind your comments. I think it's important that you also stressed the fact that we don't always have to react to rude comments, or outlandish remarks. Just ignore them. That's the other positive aspect of the "mask" comparison: it allows you to open up and like Dani said, put your opinions out on the line. And if you don't like something someone else is saying, just ignore it, no biggie.