"Twilight" delights "Harry Potter" fans

by Daniella Choynowski

I'd like to first state that I am a die-hard Harry Potter fan, the kind that goes to book releases and movie premieres in costumes. My friend Brandi, on the other hand, takes it a step further. She recently went to  a Harry Potter convention called “Terminus”. As Brandi was telling me about the convention, she mentioned that some people had come dressed as characters from Twilight. It dawned on me that Twilight was quickly becoming the “New Harry Potter”. Naturally, I was intrigued.

When I asked Brandi if she'd read the Twilight series, she turned to me, gave me a dirty look, and said, “Oh, you're going to hate it. It's so poorly written. I could barely make it past the first few chapters.”

I knew that Brandi had to be exaggerating a bit. So I began asking other friends and acquaintances whether the book was worth reading. The reactions were split down the middle: some loved (really loved) the series, while others had a reaction similar to Brandi's.

I decided to start at the beginning, and find out myself.

I can certainly see where people would get the idea that Twilight is poorly written. The first few chapters move extremely slow, so now I know not to trust opinions of people who haven't made it up to chapter 6, where we find out a very important detail about Mr. Cullen.

Moreover, the book is full of melodrama. I get it, Meyers. Edward's a vampire. Ergo, there's going to be an element of danger present. I don't see the need to use such phrases as, “This decision was ridiculously easy to live with. Dangerously easy” (140). I can hear the “bum bum bum” in my head.

Remember in middle and high school when your English teacher would praise you for using flowery, descriptive language. Stephanie Meyers has not forgotten this rule, for the book is full of eye-roll inducing sentences that continually describe Edward's physical appearance, like “His beauty stunned my mind.-it was too much,an excess I couldn't grow accustomed to”(281). I still can't figure out the audience that Meyers was writing to. Sometimes, Twilight felt like a adolescent/high school problems book, at other times an adult romance novel. I guess maybe she was trying to draw both audiences.

Despite the literary critics in me, I liked it. Edward's “perfection” (481) was no match for the terrible writing an juvenile descriptive techniques.

I'm almost ashamed to say that I liked Twilight.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: "Twilight" delights "Harry Potter" fans.