And all that Jazz

Going Digital

"as a student myself, I can view the past through the lens of The Miscellany's coverage and see national events on a more recognizable scale than ever before"

"student editors must consider both uses of their papers: the present-day and the historical"

National newspapers tend to generalize large events. Local and school newspapers are less lofty, closer to the people. They are more likely to contain humanizing feature content. Plus, I'd like to be able to look back and review years from now what my generation thought about what was going on in our country. We've had a lot of great political articles written these past two years: it would be interesting to compare what was written now 20 years from now when our children are living through a campaign. How much would be similar/different? How much would the world have changed by then?

"all of these flaws are shocking when one realizes that Generation Y, the most tech-savvy ever born, maintains and codes these sights"

"reporters can contribute live blogs, attach videos and other multimedia to their articles"

Well, I can understand why, after taking New Media Projects. The amount of time one has to put into creating multi-media is sickening. Thank god we don't have heavy blogging in addition-I'd pull my hair out. But I've never been what they call "computer/tech-savvy"-I'll say it: I hate computers. I use them because I pretty much have to. AIM, and youtube are great convenience tools, and there is no longer a need for me to purchase cable when all the news shows are posted online within a few days of airing. But do I want to create electronic presentations, slideshows, and all that jazz?

No. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to journalism. I just want to write. I didn't pick this program because of the new media tag. But the world is changing, so we have to accomodate. And think about it: if we only did what we wanted, the world would never evolve. So this electronic stuff, this "new media", is necessary (as much as I hate to admit it).

But I will reiterate: heavy blogging may, quite frankly, suck at times, but it is a much more effective tool for learning than quizzes and tests. Instead of spitting back facts, we can discuss, and learn from our peers. It's just so tedious at times (can you tell I'm burnt out?)

The Setonian online should have a citizen reporter section where people can post additional photos and content to add to the story. We can't get all the viewpoints into an under 500 word article.

Listed below are links to blogs that reference this entry: And all that Jazz.

Jeremy Barrick said:

It is time consuming; although it is not rocket science.